- 300 g mushrooms (e.g. shiitake, button, oyster, nameko)
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 50 g butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 large bread slices
- salt and pepper
Appenzeller® Cheese Sauce:
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 dl heavy cream
- 200 g grated Appenzeller® Black Label
- about 10 sage leaves
- oil for deep-frying
- finely chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 225°C.
- To prepare the Appenzeller® sauce, cook shallots in butter over low heat without browning. Stir in the vinegar and continue to cook until the shallots absorb the vinegar. Add cream and cook for about 3 more minutes. Using a mixer or hand blender, mix the sauce until smooth. Stir in the grated cheese. Season to taste with salt.
- Cut the mushrooms into equal size pieces. Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over high heat until it begins to give off smoke. Add mushrooms and cook for 10-15 minutes until well browned. Pour in the cheese sauce and set aside.
- Pour oil into a skillet to a depth of ½ – 1 cm. Heat oil to 180°C and fry sage until it has a deep green colour. (Be aware as they can easily brown.) Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel.
- Mix the remaining butter with minced garlic. Spread on the slices of bread, put on a baking tray and place in the oven. Transfer the cast iron skillet with the cheese sauce and mushrooms also to the oven. Bake for about 10 minutes until the cheese sauce and bread are golden brown.
- Garnish the garlic bread with parsley and the gratinated mushrooms with fried sage.
Francis and the light – Friends
Listen on Spotify