Time: approx. 40 minutes
Mac n Cheese:
- 6 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp panko bread crumbs
- 400 g macaroni
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 jalapeño
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 dl milk
- 1 1/2 dl heavy cream
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 300 g grated Emmentaler AOP
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 dl pickling vinegar (12%)
- 1 dl granulated sugar
- 2 dl water
- 3 jalapeños
- 1 bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- Combine vinegar, sugar and water in a bowl for the pickled jalapeños.
- Slice the jalapeños and place in a jar. Pour in the pickling brine and cover.
- Pickle the jalapeños at least an hour before serving, preferably the day before. Store in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 225°C.
- Heat 3 tbsp butter in a skillet. Cook the panko bread crumbs over medium heat until golden. Add a pinch of salt. Set aside while preparing the macaroni.
- Cook the macaroni according to the instructions on the package.
- Finely chop the garlic and jalapeño. Cook in a saucepan in the remaining butter. Whisk in the flour. Add milk and cream, a little at a time, while constantly whisking. Cook until sauce thickens.
- Let the sauce simmer for about 1 minute. Add vinegar, most of the cheese and salt.
- Mix the sauce with the macaroni and pour into an oven-proof skillet or large baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and crispy panko bread crumbs
- Bake on the center rack in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Top with finely chopped parsley and pickled jalapeños. Serve immediately.
A wonderful cheesy and crispy dish packed with spiciness. Remove the jalapeño seeds if you prefer less spicy food.
Bruce Springsteen – I’m on Fire
Listen on Spotify