20 min + 1 night resting time
- 1 dl white wine vinegar
- 1 dl water
- 125 g sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 juniper berries
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 6 mild chillies (coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 white radish (cut into cubes)
- 35 g coriander
- 25 g parsley
- 3 green small chillies
- 2 garlic cloves
- 50 ml olive oil
- A good pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 4 thick slices of sourdough bread
- A few slices of Le Gruyère d’Alpage AOP (enough to cover your bread)
- Neutral oil
- Pickle the vegetables at least a few hours in advance.
- Put the water, vinegar, sugar, bay leaf, juniper berries and pepper balls into a small saucepan.
- Put the chopped vegetables in a preserving jar or other heat-resistant container.
- Put the saucepan on low heat, the mixture should not boil but just simmer.
- When the mixture starts simmering and the sugar has dissolved, pour it over the vegetables.
- Close the container and leave to cool in the fridge.
- Remove the coriander and parsley leaves from the stems and chop them finely in a food processor.
- Add the green chillies and garlic cut into pieces and finely chop this too.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend into a thick green sauce. If the sauce seems too thick, you can add a little water and blend again.
- Season to taste with a pinch of salt.
- Butter the slices of bread.
- Cover two slices of bread with the zhoug, the cheese and some pickled vegetables (the unbuttered side).
- Top these slices of bread with the other two slices (unbuttered side face to face).
- Heat a drop of oil in a heavy frying pan over a medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, place the buttered toasties in it.
- If necessary, weigh them down with something heavy like a saucepan lid, so that the toasties brown nice and evenly.
- After a few minutes, turn the toasties over and fry until the other side is also golden brown.
Hangover? The zhoug paste and pickled vegetables can be made perfectly well in advance and will keep for a long time in the fridge. So all it takes is a few minutes and you have a perfect breakfast to see you through the day. 😀
Son Lux – A Different Kind of Love
Listen on Spotify