Mango Chutney: 1 hour
Sandwich: 10 minutes
- 2 mangoes, peeled and diced 2 cm
- 1 small red onion, cut into rings
- 250 ml white wine vinegar
- 180 g granulated sugar
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 30 g rocket salad
- 20 g lamb’s lettuce
- 20 g flat leaf parsley
- 10 g fresh coriander
- 10 g basil
- 10 g mint
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 pain bagnats (or similar)
- 4 slices Emmentaler AOP Urtyp
- Heat the vinegar with the sugar over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Continue cooking to reduce for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, dry roast the cardamom, cumin and coriander until the spices exude their aromas. Grind together with the chilli flakes in a mortar.
- Add mango, onion, spices, ginger, garlic and salt to the vinegar.
- Leave to simmer on a low heat until thick and syrupy, about 1 hour.
- Pour into a heatproof jar, seal and leave to cool.
- Store in the fridge until you make the sandwich.
- Mix all the ingredients for the salad and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the sandwich into two and top with a generous spoonful of mango chutney, two slices of Emmentaler AOP Urtyp and a handful of salad.
A simple cheese sandwich, with a little difference. Make the mango chutney one day in advance and enjoy a quick, yet special breakfast in the morning.
Rhye – Open
Listen on Spotify