- 6 g fresh yeast
- 1 1/2 dl milk
- 1 egg, divided
- 1 dl buckwheat flour
- 1/2 dl all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 75 g Gruyère AOP, grated
- 25 g butter, melted and cooled
- butter for cooking
- 1 dl smetana
- 75 g Kalix caviar (bleak roe)
- 1⁄2 dl finely chopped red onions
- fresh dill
- Crumble yeast in a bowl. Heat milk to 37°C and add a little to the yeast. Mix until yeast is dissolved. Stir in the remaining milk and egg yolk.
- Combine buckwheat flour, all-purpose flour and salt. Add to yeast-milk mixture together with the cheese. Mix to a smooth batter. Cover and let stand for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C. On a baking tray with baking paper, make small piles of the remaining cheese. Lightly flatten and bake in the oven for about 8 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool until cheese is crispy. Break into 12 smaller pieces.
- Beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Add the butter to the batter. Carefully fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Heat butter in a skillet or a cast-iron mini-pancake griddle. Portion out the batter into the skillet. Cook for a couple minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Place a dollop of smetana on top of each blini. Top with red onions and a Gruyère chip. Garnish with dill and serve immediately.
By adding Gruyére cheese, this classic blini becomes extra tasty. Topped with luxurious Kalix caviar and smetana, these will make a delicious dish for a week-end breakfast or brunch.
Billy Eilish – Your Power
Listen on Spotify